*This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the full disclosure here.
Would you like to get paid to grocery shop for others?
That pretty much sums up what you do working as a Shipt Shopper.
Grocery shopping might be a hassle for some of us and that’s when grocery delivery apps like Shipt come in handy. Customers can use the app to place their grocery orders and get shoppers to deliver it to their doorstep.
Today we are going to look at how it is to work as a Shipt shopper, shopping and delivering groceries to customers.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Disclosure here.
What is Shipt?
Shipt is a same-day grocery delivery service where customers use the Shipt app to place grocery orders.
Once they have completed placing the order, Shipt Shoppers then go in-store and pick up orders to deliver.
Launched in 2014, Shipt is now available in over 260 cities in America.
Same-day deliveries are available from stores like Target, Costco and many other major retailers.
At Shipt, you can get paid to shop for others and earn per hour delivering grocery shopping.
As a Shipt Shopper, you can choose to work part-time or full time and set your own hours of work. This makes it fully flexible for stay at home parents and those looking for a side job.
Apart from working as a Shopper, Shipt offers various other job openings from time to time.
Check out some other careers at Shipt here.
Working for Shipt
If you are ready to become a Shipt shopper, here are a few eligibility requirements to get started.
- Need to be 18 years and over.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and auto insurance.
- A reliable vehicle, 1997 or newer.
- Understanding of groceries and product selection.
- Insulated cooler bags.
- Able to lift 40 pounds.
- Smartphone – iPhone (iOS 10 or newer) or Android (5.1 or newer).
Once you fit the criteria, you can apply here to join Shipt.
After you get an approval – usually within 48 hours, you can download the Shipt Shopper app and wait for deliveries.
Shipt Grocery Delivery – How does it work?
As a Shipt Shopper, you can choose the number of orders you would like to take on.
You can use the shopper app to select the days, times and locations you are able to shop.
Making these selections can be either done on the same day or a week in advance, based on your availability. Once you have chosen the order, you can use the prepaid card provided by Shipt to proceed with the grocery purchase.
Every new shopper will receive their card along with their first Shipt Shopper shirt in their shopper package. This prepaid card will be funded with the amount of your shopping order. You are also given a little extra in case of unexpected extras. You will get the funds to proceed with the shopping, well before your delivery window begins. So by the time to reach check out, the money will already be on the card.
How much do Shipt shoppers make?
According to their website, Shipt shoppers can earn up to $22 an hour. You earn more based on your experience as a shopper.
Payments for Shipt Shoppers are made via direct deposit. This means that all shoppers must have a bank account to accept deposits that are made to you every week.
Advantages of Being a Shipt Driver
1. They pay well for a side job. You can expect to earn upwards of $16 an hour, and as a bonus get to keep your tips. So you potentially making a lot more than $16 an hour.
2. There are many work from home jobs that can help you make extra money online. But if you are someone that has previous customer service experience and would love to get out and about – Shipt shopper is the way to be.
3. Shoppers can choose to work either full time or part-time 7 days a week, scheduling time slots between 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
4. Freebies: Shoppers get free Shipt membership, so you get to enjoy receiving free grocery deliveries for yourself too.
5. You get to keep 100% of your tips!
Final Thoughts on becoming a Shipt Shopper
If you are looking to make some extra money in your spare time, this can be a fairly easy side hustle that does not require experience. If you enjoy customer service roles this is one job to consider.
Check out the Shipt Shopper application here to begin.